Saturday, August 3, 2013

Here's to you, Primm

Last week I heard the devastating news that one of my close friends from high school died in a bike/car accident. His name was John Brendan Primm, but I don't think I ever called him John. In high school I remember he introduced himself as Brendan. But for some reason we always called him Primm, and he'll always be Primm to me.

Primm and I met in orchestra, and bonded even more doing theater together. He was a brilliant actor, and an energetic, charismatic soul. We were pretty good friends in high school, but I would argue that we became even better friends after high school. I went away to Minnesota for college, and Primm stayed in Madison at Edgewood College. Every time I came home to visit, Primm was reliably one of the first people I called to hang out with. We would bake something delicious (he was an amazing chef), watch a nerdy movie, eat food, play video games, go to the farmer's market (where we ate more food), or do anything else that likely involved food.

Learning that "someone from high school" died in a car accident, and then finding out that person was one of my best friends was an absolute shock. The day I found out was probably one of the worst days of my life, made even worse by the fact that I am so far away from home right now. I didn't know what to do, how to confirm it, I couldn't call anyone. I just went through the day in a daze, trying to process it and not think about it at the same time. The people here who knew were supportive in their own ways, to which I am very grateful.

I've never lost someone I was this close to, and it's still so hard to believe. I think I'm so far removed here, and I'm so busy that it's easier to not think about it. I'm afraid of the day it really hits me, when I get home and I realize I won't be able to call him. I'll never bake anything with him again, never see him act again, never go on another camping trip together, never watch Doctor Who with him. But I'm so thankful that after I came home in June, we were able to share one last adventure before I left for Costa Rica. We drove out to the Sassy Cow Creamery, got lost in the country, eventually found it, ate ice cream, and pet some cute baby goats. A classic adventure with Primm.

I wish I had more to say. I feel like he deserves more. But I've tried to write this a million times and I've scrapped it and started over a million times. So here's to you, Primm. You were taken from us far too soon. I will never forget what a talented young man you were, and what great friend you were to me and to so many others. Goodbye.



Edit: Primm's family also set up this wonderful theater and arts memorial fund in his honor, and it is amazing to see the outpouring of love and generosity it has inspired from his friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment