Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pancakes 4 days in a row

What a summer. I have yet to experience anything that beats a summer at Itasca... and I'm only here for 5 weeks! I work 2-3 days a week, and chill and do fun stuff on the other days. Just this weekend (starting with Friday of course...)

I went for a bike ride through the woods. (on a path... but still through woods.)

I made chocolate chip blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Then I ate the leftovers on Saturday. Then I made more this morning, and I will have those leftovers tomorrow. Pancakes 4 days in a row. It's summer, I live alone = I do what I want. Boo ya.

I finished American Gods (by Neil Gaiman) a few days ago, so I moved on to Anansi Boys and read that a lot on Friday. I also did laundry.

I bonded with my fellow field biologists over campfires and card games late into the night.

Saturday. I slept.

It was  beautiful day so I set up my hannamock and read Birds of Heaven. (Yes it's a book about birds... cranes to be exact!)


Then I went mammal hunting and trapping with some mammal guys. We didn't catch anything but we set a trap for a fox and a woodchuck (and we saw the baby woodchuck scuttle away into the den!)


Then I was invited to dinner by my professor, so I had a lovely evening of brats, bocce ball, and Dominion with his family, friends, and the station Director!

Followed by another campfire.

Sunday. I slept. I made more pancakes. It rained. I watched Breaking Bad.


I finally roused myself for a birding kayak around Lake Itasca. Sightings included Mallards, Wood Ducks (and chicks), Great Blue Herons, Belted Kingfishers, a Green Heron, and a peek at the Bald Eagle nest, where I saw the parents feeding the chicks!

Bald Eagle guarding its nest
Green Heron
I attempted to get a game of Ultimate going... we got a few people, but ultimately it failed.

I read my dear friend Etta's blog post from Catania! She's in Sicily!!! I am so unbelievably jealous, and I miss my time abroad!

I made fried rice, and saw some of the mammal kids walk by with an injured baby fox they found! It was adorable... but sad...


And after that exciting weekend, I must go to sleep immediately (I have a strict 10:00pm bedtime before class days!), for my 4:30 wake-up call! Tomorrow we go to the Prairie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment